Monday 22 September 2014

Four more pieces of short fiction

Flash fiction! How much fun is it! Well, some, it's definitely some fun, but anyway, I have work due in today which of course, I being me, means that I didn't complete it until this morning (i.e. the morning of the day it is due in) because you know me (and if you don't, you should!)...anyway, the task was to write one story of 101 words about relationships, in the past hour I wrote four and so here I present them for your enjoyment. 

First love

I'm no different really, I was young and in love once, nothing special. It's that same, simple story as old as time; boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy asks girl out, girl says yes, boy and girl go out, make a grand old time of it, boy finds out girl is actually a planet eating leviathan from outer space, girl destroys boys world, boy dies...boy is reborn, boy questions what was so great about girl anyway, boy finds new girl, new girls, new boys, perhaps, but always comes back to that old monster of a girl when alone...always...  

Edward

Don't you hate it when you fall in love with a girl and you go through a series of misadventures, not explicitly trying to get her, but just be around her, but then her boyfriend, jealous at the bond that you two share, rounds up a mob to chase you out of town and you hide in a building and the girl finds you and asks you to hold her, but you can't because you've got scissors for hands because Vincent Price made you out of an old sewing machine but died before he could replace your scissors with hands....

Of relationships

Those hollowed cheeks, those shadow strewn eyes, those cracked lips with their desiccated smile...I think she meant to do me harm, for what I did to that girl, the nymph, what was her name? What was her name? Anyway, I believe she meant to punish me for my transgression. I was afraid, at first, that voice leading me to the pool, but such wonder she has shown me. I never knew just how beguiling sallow skin could be, how intoxicating the taste of rotting teeth could be, how ravishing the hungry can look. Truly, I could die happy here.

Do you remember

We met years ago, so many years ago now. You probably don't remember, why would you? It was a small, insignificant event, and I am a small, insignificant person, but that's where we first met, in that hall, all those years ago. We talked then, briefly, about our hopes, our dreams. Childishly, we talked about where we'd be in five years, ten years, the careers we'd have, the lives we'd be living. I lied though, a bad sign. I didn't say anything about you being there, here, though that would've been my dream. Though that is my dream.   


No comments:

Post a Comment